Research Lab #2

This week we delivered our research lab to the class, we challenged the class by asking: How does the change of pace and momentum affect contact in duets?

We set two different exercises for the class to practise their contact and to help explore new platforms and movement. Starting on a low kinesphere aided finding platforms on the body – therefore they could apply this to different kinespheres. We then added different kinespheres moving across the space at faster pace – changing the music to influence their movements.

From our view – the pace maintained the same throughout the experiment. Therefore, our question failed. However, the feedback was different to our visuals.

The feedback we received:

• Found it difficult to move at fast pace and they could not explore movement at the high pace.
  • The only fast pace movements could be explored on the higher kinesphere.
  • Students was not aware of the higher kinesphere in the exercise.
  • Move at fast pace independently before going into fast pace-contact.
  • The music had slight impact on the atmosphere and pace.
  • Slower pace helped explore new anchor points and new movement material.
  • Fast pace led to more communication to keep surrounding people safe.

I also found this feedback relatable, from demonstrating in this experiment. I found at times it was uneasy to work in the space at this pace.

research lab 1research lab 2

The jam did not work for me. Having a bad day/week affected my performance in duets, so I decided to use my improvisation knowledge last year to keep my body active as a soloist. Tried to focus on gravity whilst working in duets but I preferred to work alone this week. A quote I thought about this session was:

“I don’t usually think about how to keep from falling, but rather, how to use the momentum or a quick push off a nearby surface to help me arrive on the ground in a safe manner”. (Curtis & Ptashek, 1988, 157).

This is helpful advice to know during duets – when accidents do happen; to keep moving on and making something of the fall.

Sunday 13th November we travelled to Dance4, Nottingham, for a workshop with Feet off the ground dance. I had an incredible time working with new practitioners and new movements in my body in such a positive, welcoming atmosphere.

IMG_3921[1]

Curtis, B. & Ptashek, A. (1988) Exposed to Gravity. Contact quarterly/Contact Improvisation Sourcebook I. Vol 13.